18 Hoang Viet Street, Tan Binh District
|Type of Building:||Others|
|New / Refurbished:||Refurbished|
|Year of construction:||1970|
|Gross Floor Area:||7450 sq.m|
De Nhat Hotel, or First Hotel, was established in 1977 with 6 floors and 114 bedrooms. Energy saving initiatives earned the hotel the grand-prize of the Ministry of Industry and Trade Vietnam’s Energy Efficient Buildings Competition in 2011. Since 1998, the hotel has started adopting a greening strategy by implementing the ISO 14001 (2005), improving energy performance for building equipment, reducing both electricity and water costs and applying environmental protection methods. Particularly, the hotel’s annual electricity consumption dropped significantly by 296,786 kWh, equal to 35.95% of total electricity consumption. Also, a wide range of energy efficient solutions such as solar water heater, heat pump, VSDs, higher energy efficient air conditioning enables the hotel do more with less.
Third Party verified: No
Source of information: De Nhat Hotel.
Method of data collection: staff interviews and emails
+84 906 070 808
• Windows to wall (WWR) ratio: 30%
• Yellow and light-yellow walls
• Wall Thermal Transfer Value (OTVVT): 45.5 W/m2, a low number in comparison with Vietnam legal requirements of 60 W/ m2, stipulated in the Energy Efficiency Building Code (EEBC) of Vietnam 2013.
• Roof OTTV: 17.4 W/m2, which is lower compared to the Vietnam’s legal requirements of 25 W/ m2, laid down in the EEBC 2013.
• Planting trees provides shading for windows on the first and third floors that are oriented towards Northeast and Northwest.
• Expanding corridors at the fourth and sixth floors provides shading for rooms that are oriented towards Northeast and Northwest direction.
• The hotel also makes use of neighboring skyscrapers that face southeast and southwest directions, adding additional shading to the building.
• An skydome in the main lobby provides natural light
1. Replacing 138 inefficient split-units withan energy efficient central air conditioning system VRV, using VSD technology.
• Direct Expansion Type of central AC system, the newly installed air conditioning system,is an inverter- variable speed controlled compressor that can adjust the refrigerant flow to changes in the cooling demand located within the air conditioned space to save energy.
• In this system, the compressor and the condenser are housed in the plant room, while the expansion valve, the evaporator and the air handling unit are housed in separate rooms (see pictures above). Condenser is cooled by air, cooling tower is thus unnecessary.
2. Replacing light bulbs with more energy efficient ones
• Light bulb replacement saved the electricity cost of more than 121 MWh/year. In particular:
– 483 50W-Halogen bulbs installed in bedrooms, the hotel main hall, Lobby Bar and restaurant were replaced with LED light bulbs.
– 234 40W-incandescent bulbs installed in bedrooms, the hotel main hall and restaurant were replaced with 3W LED light bulbs.
– 110 40W-double filament bulbs installed in the reception were replaced with 20W-LED light bulbs.
– 6 500W-Halogenbulbs installed in the garden koi pond were replaced with 20W LED light bulbs.
• Lightning power density based on gross floor area (GFA) of bedrooms: 2.91 W/ m2,which islower in comparison with Vietnam’s legal requirements of 11 W/ m2, stipulated in the Energy Efficiency Building Code of Vietnam 09:2013/BXD.
3. The hotel’s lightning system is only permitted to be fully-switched on from 6-10 pm in the corridors,only half of the system functions at other times.
4. 152 110W refrigerators were replaced with higher energy efficient ones (75W) to save up to 19 MWh/year.
5. Four elevators having 5.5kW-motor gearbox were replaced with those without neither gearbox nor engine room but intergratingpermanent magnets, also known as 3.7kW-perpetual mobile, to save more than 21 MWh/year.
6. Installing 4 VSDs for elevator motors with permanent magnets , saving 6 MWh/year
7. Installing solar water heater and heat pump
• 114 electric heating-water tanks (400kWh/day) were replaced with solar water heater (61kWh/day) and heat pum, saving 123MWh/year.
• Inside this system, water is heated by solar water heater system. If the solar water heater could not meet the heating demand, heat pump shall be activated to meet the water temperature requirement.
Commitments to environmental policies:
1. “De Nhat Hotel shall continue to commit to its energy saving schemes and obey the Vietnam’s environmental regulations to maintain its image as an awardee of the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism’s Green Lotus. De Nhat Hotel is also awarded with the Environment Management Certificate ISO 14001” said Huynh Van Phat, the First Hotel’s Director.
2. The hotel’s staff is responsible for obtaining weekly energy consumption data in each section and system, followed by data analysis by the hotel’s expert team to make according response or adjustment.
3. Preventative maintenance for annual repairing and replacing devices, when neccessary, is applied to enhance guest comfort and efficient energy consumption.
4. A maintenance team of 18 people is divided into separate groups specializing in electrics, electronics and refrigerators… Annual repairing and maintaining of the section B building to ensure its constant and effective running12.708 hoursof laboring wasreported to take 12.708 hoursof laboring.
5. Training workshops helps expanding knowledge and raising awareness among the hotel staff in protecting environment and energy efficiency. Courses are held in a regular basis and considered carefully by the management board.
6. A variety of courses are organized to improve staff performance in health, fire safety, as well as environmental related issues such as environmental consultancy.